It is unfortunate that Pierre did so poorly on the achievement test, thus bringing his mark down significantly. I realize that this test brought his overall mark down a great deal, making it look as though he had not achieved as much, but it is him who decided to work more and study less. Nobody but Pierre is responsible for his grade. I do not feel it would be reasonable to artificially boost his overall mark due to the fact that the provincial test demands studying, and those who choose not to put in the proper amount of time and still write the test as scheduled will receive what they receive. In the event that he was extremely ill and could not write the test, things would be different because that is more or less out of his hands and illness does happen even when we don’t want it to. As far as I know a sick student would have to produce a doctor’s note and reschedule the test through Alberta Education. As far as playing for a sports team goes, I do not feel that accommodations should be made for provincial tests as the date is announced in advance and it is a very crucial part of completing the course. For unit tests and quizzes I think that a valid excuse as to why the student cannot make it, and prior notice should be sufficient to allow an alternate writing date, whether that be team sports, illness, a funeral, a wedding, etc.
No comments:
Post a Comment